History of Illuman
In 2012 as Fr. Richard Rohr’s focus shifted to founding the Living School and recovering a Christian path to unitive consciousness, his male-specific work transitioned away from the CAC into Illuman, a global nonprofit organization committed to carrying on Fr. Richard’s work to recover traditional patterns of male initiation, affirm a path to masculine healing, reveal the true and false self, and honor the path of descent. Illuman seeks to form future generations of men who will restore these practices, serving to build a world that celebrates the beauty of all beings through the power of ritual, image, story, and council.
- We are men transforming men through a power greater than ourselves.
- We are seeking a life changing spirituality.
- Our primary concern is inner work that makes a difference in the world.
- We are fed by the wisdom traditions of forgiveness and radical inclusivity.
- Our work recovers traditional patterns of male initiation, affirms a masculine path to healing, reveals the true and false self and honors the path of descent.
- We do this through the power of ritual, image, story and council.
Illuman's Five Touchstones
- Centering – We are men grounded in the power of the here and now.
- Gathering – We are men who listen deeply to each others stories.
- Connecting – We are men who choose another to walk with – shoulder to shoulder.
- Releasing – We are men who let go of the ways that no longer serve us.
- Serving – We are men who honor the earth and serve the whole human community.